Sunday, November 02, 2008

new leaves

It's Sunday, and the beginning of another month. I've been finding the passing of months to be kind of depressing the past while; another month without a job, another month closer to wintery deep freeze. This Sunday is particularly telling for the latter - it's the end of Daylight Savings (did you turn your clocks appropriately?) and it's frosty out there.

I have a few projects to work on this month, a few things to establish as habits that I've been meaning to get around to for a while:
1. Counting points again, of course; the battle to not eat too much delicious, delicious food is never won.
2. Allied with that, starting to do Pilates videos every day; strong core muscles are a good thing and I need to do some sort of exercise other than walking up and down the stairs all day long.
3. This one may shock some: picking up the violin again with a vengeance. I've actually been noodling around with it a bit the past couple weeks, and it's surprising how much of the muscle memory has stuck, but my actual brain? Not so much. I've wanted to get back into it pretty much ever since I stopped, but until I graduated, I was just too busy to commit to the amount of practice it would take to get back what I've lost. Sean is partially to thank for this, too - he's been quietly pushing to have me teach him violin for years, and even has a decent beginner violin of his own, but I can't really teach him much past Suzuki Book One at the moment, so as we start lessons in earnest, I'm going to try to get my chops back.
4. Lastly, NaNoWriMo, my yearly battle that I have never won or even made any headway with at all. I keep publicly declaring my challenge (here, and older defunct blogs) and then quietly failing to give any updates. Angus is doing it this year, along with Rose, and so I have support this time. Angus has been plugging away with his writing faithfully the past two days (it starts November 1 and runs the whole month) and has an interesting historical fiction premise (Canadian history? interesting? really?). I'm a bit behind. I will prevail.

The hope is that when December comes around, I will have successfully lost about 10 lbs, be more fit in general, have made a habit of violin again, and have written a novel. Oh, and hopefully have a job.

Interesting side note: Gail stopped by yesterday to drop off an apartment warming gift: a Magic Bullet! I was already aware of the neat things you can do with it, as Michelle has one, but this morning Sean read the booklet a little and got all excited about the many things his culinary mind could think of to do with it (pesto! salsa! spinach dip!). We liquified a couple of onions for latkes and then he had to play will-it-blend with some ice cubes and other things (ice cubes into snow in thirty seconds!). So thank you, Gail... we are going to have a lot of fun with this :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Donna's chitchat said...

Oh Stephanie, I took a real honest to goodness Pilates class with a licenced Pilates instructor... It was amazing... I loved it so much.
and I can already tell I am going to love November. Its the dreariest month of the year, but if your going to blog everyday... I will love it... points.. oh.. so hard, but you can do it. I will too... good goal, one month...I can do it too for one month..

6:19 PM  
Blogger GailM. said...

Glad you liked your fun kitchen gift. I did a search on the internet, and there are recipes for the magic bullet there. Let me know if you find any must try recipes...I don't have a bullet, but I do have a food processor.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home