Thursday, October 30, 2008

change of direction

Well, another job not mine. Apparently I don't have sufficient experience with sales goals. I'm not that disappointed, having had a couple days to get over how much I had talked myself into this job, and how much I truly thought having a degree would allow me to walk into a call center job (it won't). I continue to look.

Very probably my best bet it is to leave. I hate to leave Sean behind, but Fredericton.... oh, Maritimes. Don't ever complain to me again that all your young people leave for the west or the south or wherever, chasing the money. As it turns out, we leave chasing money because there is zero money here, and no opportunities except possibly exciting fry-cook opportunities, which we can frankly get anywhere for more money. I understand that my degree isn't in that much demand - I knew that going in - but a degree is a symbol, and right now every honest person who interviews me for something below what they percieve to be a BA level job tells me that they are going to hire someone with less education but more likelihood of sticking around. If that isn't a solid prompt to get out of the area, I don't know what is.

So Sean and I will have to be long-distance for a time, which in theory I can do, but in practice will be draining. I'm applying for JET, and probably a couple Korean English programs as well, and will attempt to do the teaching-english-as-a-second-language thing for a year. It could help a lot with my Foreign Service application for the next round of hiring (I'm going to assume for the time being that I'm not going to be hired this round - obviously, that comes first). It pays reasonably well, and will keep me entertained.

I still need something to do while I wait to see if I'm accepted, though, so the search continues.

1 Comments:

Blogger GailM. said...

Too bad. It's hard. If there's anything I can do, just nudge.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home