Monday, October 06, 2008

the sketchiest package: a true story

"This is by far the sketchiest package I've ever seen", said the Canada Post girl as she retrieved my parcel.


It was wrapped in cloth, sewn up at the corners, and sealed with red sealing wax on the sides. There was packing tape, and and a big black stamp reading KARACHI, PAKISTAN, and a number of printed postage labels with pricing in rupees in addition to the Canada Post label and my address carefully printed in blue marker.


Parallax tried to attack it.
Inside was a styrofoam brick, and in the middle of the brick was hidden:


New prescription glasses for me! They fit perfectly and the style is exactly what I wanted. I've been wearing them for a few hours and the prescription seems right on with my other glasses.
A catalog photo of just the frames (they are just like their photo):

So how did I get outrageous Pakistani glasses and how much did they cost? They came from Goggles4U, an atrociously named but amazing online glasses emporium, and even including the hilarious packing and the shipping from Pakistan (free), with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings, with prescription lenses and nice frames, they were... twenty-six dollars (edit: no customs, either). You can't really argue with that, I think.

Some links:
  • The world's only feline train station-master, Tama, has managed to singlepawedly inject 1.1 billion yen (10.44 million dollars) into her local economy in 2007 alone, with more people using that train line just to see her.
  • Another style blog that intersects with steampunk at times: Dark Style.
  • I hope everyone is going to vote. Much like Newf Premier Danny Williams, I don't mind who people vote for, as long as it's not a Conservative. A lot of people want to throw their votes where they can do the most good, but without information it's hard to do that. If you want to know where your riding is sitting, and who you should vote for to make sure you are pushing out a conservative, check out Vote For Environment, which is basically an extension of Anything But Conservative.

5 Comments:

Blogger mickermoodles said...

I love the glasses!!! What a steal! And I love the crazy packaging!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much was the total? Did you have to pay crazy customs or anything?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Donna's chitchat said...

very cool glasses... perfect for a french foreign legionaire or an author... neat deal too

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a shame there aren't more online glasses companies in the US - my sister lives in the UK where the market seems much more buoyant........lots of companies. She used one called www.fashionspecsdirect.co.uk and even got a free pair when she bought some prescription sunglasses.
Seems like the mall prices are a little inflated to me..........

8:47 AM  
Blogger GailM. said...

That's neat. I love your glasses. You look so professional. I must check them out. Great price

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home