Tuesday, June 17, 2008

rainy june

One thing that has always struck me about traveling is how the weather acts differently in other places. When it rains in Belize, it just pours, straight down, so you look like you've been swimming with all your clothes on if you try to run more than twenty feet or so to shelter. It impressed me because aside from Japan I had never really seen that sort of unabashed rainfall without a great big storm to back it up. Here in the Maritimes, it can hang about raining lightly for days, or on-again-off-again rain pretty hard, but it rarely just sets in and stays the way other places' rain does.
Well, far be it from me to use the dreaded double c-words (_limate _hange oh no!) but this summer just feels different. Last week we had a pocket thunderstorm with high winds and unbelievable rain that threatened to spawn tornados for its entire half hour of existence, and today a rainstorm moved in that puts me in mind of countries that actually take a couple months out to have a rainy season. There was no wind, and no spells of pretending to clear up. I took the bus up to campus to bring Sean a lunch, and walked home in it; it even sounded different. There was the constant patter of soaked trees being showered on, and the gentle sssshing of big fat drops hitting the surface of water - because the sidewalks and parking lots were completely underwater. It sounded like being in the middle of a lake in the rain.

This is my first blog post since I got my beautiful new laptop in the mail, and I imagine I'll write a short catchup post about macbooks later on, but for now I'm going to welcome some company in from the rain and have a nice noodly supper.

2 Comments:

Blogger Donna's chitchat said...

OK, well first, its nice to see you blog. Second... my mom used to make egg rolls by the hundreds.. and her secret ingredient was ... peanut butter. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the write up for the recipe you linked.
What type of noodles did you use. somehow... I don't think I could get daddy to try them... even if there was a side of buffalo in it.. But I hope they were good.

8:20 PM  
Blogger GailM. said...

That looks like a great recipe. If you've been to the Fredericton market, they have noodles like this for sale on Saturday mornings, except no chicken. I might try this sometime as a treat for my kids. They all love noodles.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home