Thursday, May 01, 2008

and see all the people

1. Everyone in Fredericton is outdoors today - on bikes, with dogs, toting children and cameras, in boats. CBC says that this is upsetting the emergency people because it's dangerous, but mostly people are just taking a lot of pictures and staying back from the water.
I went out for a walk about this morning and noticed that City Hall has a parking pond complete with toll booth (this is half a block from my front door):


I ran into Shasta, who told me that the Crowne Plaza has been evacuated, and that her house was getting blocked in by water coming up through the grates. We went to Officer's Square and I took some pictures:




Notice all the kids? School is canceled today.
Later, on my way to the office, I took another quick snap from a distance, but it's well worth it:


Across the street, Bejewel is sandbagged and closed, as well as most of the rest of the businesses on the street:


Water is seeping up between the Crowne Plaza and the Beaverbrook Art Gallery (both closed):


The walking bridge is full of people, and the water is shockingly close to the bridge:


The dumbest intersection in Fredericton (four streets meeting at odd angles) is completely inaccessible:

As I carried on up to work, I noticed a few other streets were getting water up through the grates, but when I got all the way up to Charlotte Street (four streets in from the river), I called Shasta to let her know that she should probably move her car, because her house is on this intersection (note the happy child on the scooter):

And finally, as I arrived home, I noticed the stores below me are all without power. I'm going to post this in case ours is about to go too. Hooray natural disasters!

2. Almost forgot - I passed both Greek and Latin, so I'm officially done my degree!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your degree Stephanie!!! Keep to high ground.. and keep safe. All the best Kelly

6:19 PM  
Blogger GailM. said...

Hey, you're done... done, can you believe it. Man, the time went by quick. Great pictures Stef. I was one of those crazy people on the walking bridge today... 2 times.. once over to the downtown and then once back. We figured it would be just as quick to walk back rather than to try to get a taxi, so we fueled up with carbs at Timmy's and made our way back. The peak of the water at the cottage should be Saturday morning, so I'll take pictures then and post them.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Steph...you're done!
Stay dry!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home