Monday, June 30, 2008

digging

Digging is fun. It's why I chose it as my profession of preference - I like looking in a screen of dirt for cultural treasure, even if it's just a broken flake from when someone was learning how to make arrowheads a thousand years ago.
Horseflies are not fun. They aren't even a little discouraged by DEET, and they hurt when they bite. More to the point, they circle for ages before getting down to business, i.e. biting you, so while digging, you can attract a large number of orbiting, buzzing bitey bugs without having any opportunity to swat them. If you are sitting on a porch, you could just wait for them to land and swat them, but when digging, you just keep stopping and killing the first three or four you see and then get back to work and wait for the other eight to try a bite.
I really, really need to solve the horsefly issue. The internet suggests long sleeves and a bug net, so I suppose I am heading to Walmart soon to see about them.
Other than that, and the fatigue from barely sleeping from excitement and thunder, and being pathetically out of shape, it was a good day. More tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna's chitchat said...

yipeeeeeeee..... a digging day... horse flies... geesh, never thought of those!! ugh....

7:38 PM  
Blogger GailM. said...

oh, the horsefly delema. I hate that when they circle, and circle and just buzz you to death. I also got 6 bites last week at the cottage. They are painful, and I swelled... It took l6 days for complete relief.
Yes, long sleeves would help. Maybe even a bee keepers hat...

I'm glad to hear that you love the job.

7:56 PM  
Blogger GailM. said...

I was thinking.... the other year when you were in Belise or was it Mexico, you had bugs that were like facecloths... Somehow that seemed more exciting, maybe because it was exotic. Horsefly's seem so ordinary. Is there anyone from Belise on your dig... Maybe they are writing home about the exotic carnivorus horseflies.

12:39 PM  
Blogger mickermoodles said...

Ew horseflies. thats soo gross and they bite really hard! go all the way get the netting it'll be worth it in the end i'm sure!!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home