Monday, March 12, 2007

I have a problem

...and not just that I'm clearly insane for thinking these socks were a good idea. Nor that I'm a horrible photographer. No:


This sock, while insane and silly in scale and colour, is still awesome, except that it doesn't. quite. fit. right.
I can't tell you how much this bothers me. You see, knitting socks is a pretty long process, and I would have liked to have been smart enough to not mess up something that I've put so much time into.
And, of course, my choice of colourway/pattern was not very inspired. Both awesome, but this pattern is supposed to look like this:See the nice pronounced pattern, the delicate eyelets? Not so much on my silly sock.
So. The dilemma is this: do I throw all remaining sanity to the wind and actually knit the mate, or do I salvage the remaining awesome yarn and knit something more appropriate, like a standard sock with a kicky picot edging to it, or a simple lace pattern like this that will stand out regardless of the rainbow silly? Frogging the first one and knitting a perfect pair is beyond my abilities. If I make a mate, do I make it fit or do I make two matching but slightly offkilter socks?
Decisions, decisions.
Meanwhile, I have this one and this one taunting me, and more than a couple others I wouldn't mind tackling.
I'll try to take better pictures of the One Sock, but... guidance? opinion? advice?

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna's chitchat said...

You do have a problem. Ummmmm... I would almost frog the first sock. The yarn is fun, you could make some fun ankle length socks from the yarn, because you know you won't wear the one you made, even if you do knit the second one. And knitting the second one, when your not happy with the first, will suck the fun out of knitting, and it will be the albatross hanging around your neck. Unravel if you can, or give it to Sean to do, and start with one of those fun patterns you want to make, and chalk it up as lesson learned, what ever that may be... my opinion only... anyone else?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Jill MacDonald said...

I like the lacy ones...they are pretty...I say unravel and salvage.

7:25 AM  
Blogger S said...

I do have enough of the yarn left that I can make a pair of socks without frogging the first one - knee socks take so much yarn.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with DP. But I'm not the one who has to unravel all that work. I certainly wouldn't want to see it all lonely without a mate. Poor socky. Kelly

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dp obviously doesn't get it. all that work.... gesh... I say knit the other one and when you're 40+, you'll look at them and chalk it up to youth. But if you decide to frog, get somebody else to do it for you when you're not there. I do like the green cably socks... they're nice and short... almost like a slipper. GM

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home