Sunday, January 11, 2009

happy new year

And back again.

I won't try to summarize Christmas, as it was a whirlwind of turkeys and ferries and friends and I can't possibly do it justice. It was just the rest that I needed, and when Sean and I arrived back home on New Years Eve, I really felt like I could tackle 2009 with more energy and enthusiasm than I'd had in some time.

The shape of our lives has shifted a bit. Sean and Angus have new classes, of course; after a week of struggling with timetables and registrars, they've shuffled everything into a comfortable place. Sean even has a class with his favourite professor, Titus, and he's taking a music theory class with Megan at STU (his economics requirements are almost finished, having gotten them out of the way as fast as he could, so now he can take a few electives along with his statistics and whatever else). Angus has successfully gotten through the requirements of getting into the comp sci faculty, and is taking really complex sounding theory classes that make him very happy indeed.

January is notorious as a dead season for job openings, so I decided to at least use my time profitably. My mom gave me a pilates course at Garda's for Christmas, so I'm getting out and doing that; I'm also taking a fairly intense Japanese course on this fantastic website, Edufire. I can't recommend the free classes nearly enough; they won't be free forever, so take advantage of it while you can. Koichi, my teacher, is brilliant.
So on top of all this self-improving, I've also continued looking around for jobs, and took a spin around the mall applying for random things on Wednesday. Imagine my surprise when I had three calls on Thursday about job interviews! I had a fairly uninspiring interview at Le Chateau (not surprising; though I love their clothes, I don't really fit in there), but my other interview went very well, and so on this coming Thursday I have an interview with the District Manager for Wicker Emporium to be assistant manager. The girls who are currently manager and assistant manager (the manager is moving on, and the assistant moving up) are really sweet, and seem to really like me for the job, so I'm very hopeful about it. And on Tuesday I have an interview at Skillsoft, about which I've heard great things.
Maybe someday soon I will have a job...

We've been considering moving our weekly D&D session to Sundays, and so last night was not spent rolling dice, but painting miniatures. The boys - Matt, Will, Angus and Sean - discovered that they have all been quietly wanting to play a game called Warhammer, involving armies of little painted miniatures, and all but Angus already have a partially painted army squirrelled away somewhere, so they've dug out their armies and are preparing them for epic battles on our kitchen table.
Our two weekend habits have been D&D and a large, extravagant Sunday breakfast; now, in an inspired move, we are integrating them, so all the D&D crew are here already and Angus is making pancakes, and Sean is making bacon (both plain and fried with maple syrup), and there will be potatoes, and very possibly eggs.... and then we will play D&D.
Sundays: good days.

7 Comments:

Blogger dp said...

well, I didn't know you were taking a Japanese course.. too funny... that must bring back memories...
Good luck on all the job stuff.. we had a yummy egg/bacon/toast breakfast today too
Love it when you blog

4:43 PM  
Blogger GailM. said...

Kanichiwa.... Good luck on the job front.. I love Wicker emporium too...

11:43 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

So what exactly does "esse quam videri" mean anyway? :o)

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys..
a found a great place to find nice products at cheap rate at [url=http://50off.reviewazone.com/]discount coupon[/url]
Have Fun

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Any way I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

Here is my web site ... buying twitter followers

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best for you XFJslarg [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/]online designer outlet[/URL] suprisely GCsobRbO [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ ] http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ [/URL]

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...



Have a look at my page; buy facebook likes 24 hours

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home